Friday, December 14, 2007

Golden Globe Picks - Television Edition

I divided the nomination list for the Golden Globes in half (TV and Movies). Below are my thoughts about who will/should win in each of the television categories. I use my own brand of reasoning ad do not claim for a second that anyone else will find it critically viable. I also don't care.

It should be noted that, because I'm me, I wrote analysis backward, from #25-#15.

~*~

15. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. BIG LOVE (HBO)Anima Sola and Playtone Productions in association with HBO Entertainment
b. DAMAGES (FX NETWORKS)FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television
c. GREY’S ANATOMY (ABC)ABC Studios
d. HOUSE (FOX)Heel and Toe Films, Shore Z Productions and Bad Hat Harry Productions in association with Universal Media Studios
e. MAD MEN (AMC)Lionsgate Television
f. THE TUDORS (SHOWTIME)Showtime/Peace Arch Entertainment/Working Title/Reveille Productions Limited/An Ireland-Canada Co-Production

Mad Men is too small time. The Tudors, as a whole, really wasn’t THAT fantastic. Grey’s was beyond terrible last year. Big Love never really did anything for me. I think it will be a fight between Damages and House, and I’m not quite sure who will come out on top.

16. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. PATRICIA ARQUETTE – MEDIUM
b. GLENN CLOSE – DAMAGES
c. MINNIE DRIVER – THE RICHES
d. EDIE FALCO – THE SOPRANOS
e. SALLY FIELD – BROTHERS & SISTERS
f. HOLLY HUNTER – SAVING GRACE
g. KYRA SEDGWICK – THE CLOSER




Good, but good enough?


This category is so incredibly loaded (and crowded to boot). It’s just chock-full of the hot new “strong women” characters that all those fancy entertainment magazines are so keen on writing about. Hunter and Driver are on two of my studio’s shows, so I would really, rally love to see one of them win. However, I think Hunter’s character is too polarizing to win and Driver’s just isn’t strong enough…I realize that (on the surface) doesn’t seem to make much sense. If Arquette wins, I will throw my remote at the television. I say the award goes to either Close or Field – both veterans of the “strong women” character mold and absolutely fantastic in their current roles.

17. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. MICHAEL C. HALL – DEXTER
b. JON HAMM – MAD MEN
c. HUGH LAURIE – HOUSE
d. JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS – THE TUDORS
e. BILL PAXTON – BIG LOVE

My undying love for Hugh Laurie and the belief that everything he does is perfection prevents me from judging this category properly. I think the third season of House was incredibly strong, and no one else (not even Michael C. Hall, who is sublime as Dexter) can come close.

18. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. 30 ROCK (NBC)Universal Media Studios in association with Broadway Video and Little Stranger - Inc.
b. CALIFORNICATION (SHOWTIME)Showtime Presents in association with Aggressive Mediocrity, and Then…, Twilight Time Films
c. ENTOURAGE (HBO)Leverage and Closest to the Hole Productions in association with HBO Entertainment
d. EXTRAS (HBO)BBC and HBO Entertainment
e. PUSHING DAISIES (ABC)Living Dead Guy Productions, The Jinks/Cohen Company in association with Warner Bros. Television


We've already got an Emmy, bitches

Entourage didn’t have its best year. Californication isn’t a strong enough show to win. Pushing Daisies is the new critics’ darling, but 30 Rock is coming off that shocking Emmy win. I make it a toss-up between those two, but I give the edge to 30 Rock.

19.BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES –COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. CHRISTINA APPLEGATE – SAMANTHA WHO?
b. AMERICA FERRERA – UGLY BETTY
c. TINA FEY – 30 ROCK
d. ANNA FRIEL – PUSHING DAISIES
e. MARY-LOUISE PARKER – WEEDS

I love Applegate, but Samantha Who? got old after the second episode. She’s got pluck, but you can see her straining to milk laughs from a desperately unfunny show and it’s just not enjoyable to watch. America is still just as fabulous as always, but I’m always one of those “time for new blood” people. I put my hopes behind Fey.

20. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. ALEC BALDWIN – 30 ROCK
b. STEVE CARELL – THE OFFICE
c. DAVID DUCHOVNY – CALIFORNICATION
d. RICKY GERVAIS – EXTRAS
e. LEE PACE – PUSHING DAISIES


How can you say no to that smile (and free pie)?


I feel like it will be hard for Baldwin NOT to win. Duchovny is good and people love him because he’s playing so against type, but I’m not overly impressed with the show or the character he plays. Still, I have a soft spot for Lee Pace. The tone of Pushing Daisies is a tricky one to balance: you have to play to its over-the-top sensibilities while not pushing it too far, yet you also have to find a way to ground such a fanciful show in real emotion. Pace is pitch-perfect walking that line.

21. BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE (HBO)A Wolf Films/Traveler’s Rest Production in association with HBO Films
b. THE COMPANY (TNT)Sony Pictures Television
c. FIVE DAYS (HBO)HBO Films in association with BBC Films
d. LONGFORD (HBO)A Granada Production in association with Channel 4 and HBO Films
e. THE STATE WITHIN (BBC AMERICA)BBC America, BBC

Okay, so I actually saw The Company. I was actually at the TCA for it. It was incredibly well done all around: actors, cinematography, direction, writing. All that = win.

22. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD – AS YOU LIKE IT
b. DEBRA MESSING – THE STARTER WIFE
c. QUEEN LATIFAH – LIFE SUPPORT
d. SISSY SPACEK – PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS
e. RUTH WILSON – JANE EYRE (MASTERPIECE THEATRE)

Doesn’t the Masterpiece Theatre movie, that no one has ever really even heard of, let alone actually seen, usually run away with one of these? That’s where I’m placing my bet.


23. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. ADAM BEACH – BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED – KNEE
b. ERNEST BORGNINE – A GRANDPA FOR CHRISTMAS
c. JIM BROADBENT – LONGFORD
d. JASON ISAACS – THE STATE WITHIN
e. JAMES NESBITT – JEKYLL

I’m sorry, if Earnest Borgnine wins for something called A Grandpa For Christmas, I don’t know that I’ll be able to take the HFPA seriously ever again. Apologies for my snobbery, but really… I never watch miniseries or TV movies, so my judgment in categories like these is based purely on things like the following: Adam Beach and Jason Issacs = pretty. I would like to stare at them while they receive their awards on the podium. The end.

24. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. ROSE BYRNE – DAMAGES
b. RACHEL GRIFFITHS – BROTHERS & SISTERS
c. KATHERINE HEIGL – GREY’S ANATOMY
d. SAMANTHA MORTON – LONGFORD
e. ANNA PAQUIN – BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED - KNEE
f. JAIME PRESSLY – MY NAME IS EARL


Color me pink and call me stupid: I just don't get it


Am I the only one not that impressed by Heigl? I feel like her “Strong, opinionated woman” persona that she has IRL colors people’s opinion of her performance. She does a good job, yeah, but Grey’s isn’t half the show it once was and Izzie is quickly becoming more annoying than Meredith…and I didn’t think that was possible. Rose Bryne was, in my opinion, the worst part of Damages. I honestly don’t have a strong opinion on any of the remaining options, except to say that I’m glad Pressly finally started getting some recognition because I thought she was criminally overlooked in My Name is Earl’s first season.

25. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. TED DANSON – DAMAGES
b. KEVIN DILLON – ENTOURAGE
c. JEREMY PIVEN – ENTOURAGE
d. ANDY SERKIS – LONGFORD
e. WILLIAM SHATNER – BOSTON LEGAL
f. DONALD SUTHERLAND – DIRTY SEXY MONEY

William Shatner, my ass. The Piv, I’m over it. Your schtick is great, but the shine has warn off. Donald Sutherland rocks my world as the patriarch of the perennially screwed-up Darling clan. He’s understated but forceful; a quietly dangerous man who nonetheless has obvious warmth for his family.

No comments: